Notification No.18/2006 - Central Excise (N.T.)
30th September, 2006
G.S.R. (E) In exercise of the powers conferred by section 37 of the Central Excise Act, 1944 (1 of 1944), the Central Government hereby makes the following rules further to amend the Central Excise Rules, 2002, namely:-
1. (1) These rules may be called the Central Excise (Second Amendment) Rules, 2006.
(2) They shall come into force on the date of their publication in the Official Gazette.
2. In the Central Excise Rules, 2002 (hereinafter referred to as the said rules), in rule 2, after sub-rule (e), the following sub-rule shall be inserted, namely:-
"large taxpayer" means a person who,-
has one or more registered premises under the Central Excise Act, 1944 (1 of 1944); or
has one or more registered premises under Chapter V of the Finance Act, 1994 (32 of 1994);
and is an assessee under the Income Tax Act, 1961 (43 of 1961), who holds a Permanent Account Number issued under section 139A of the said Act, and satisfies the conditions and observes the procedures as notified by the Central Government in this regard.
3. In the said rules, after rule 12AA, the following rule shall be inserted, namely,-
"12BB. Procedure and facilities for large taxpayer Notwithstanding anything contained in these rules, the following procedure shall apply to a large taxpayer,-
A large taxpayer may remove excisable goods, except motor spirit, commonly known as petrol, high speed diesel and light diesel oil (hereinafter referred to as the intermediate goods), without payment of duties of excise, under the cover of a transfer challan or invoice, from any of his registered premises, (hereinafter referred to as the sender premises) where such goods are produced, manufactured or warehoused to his other registered premises, other than a premises of a first or second stage dealer (herein after referred to as the recipient premises), for further use in the manufacture or production of such other excisable goods (hereinafter referred to as the subject goods) in recipient premises subject to condition that-
the subject goods are manufactured or produced using the said intermediate goods and cleared on payment of appropriate duties of excise leviable thereon within a period of six months, from the date of receipt of the intermediate goods in the recipient premises; or
the subject goods are manufactured or produced using the said intermediate goods and exported out of India, under bond or letter of undertaking within a period of six months, from the date of receipt of the intermediate goods in the recipient premises,
and that any other conditions prescribed by the Commissioner of Central Excise, Large Taxpayer Unit in this regard are satisfied:
The transfer challan or invoice shall be serially numbered and shall contain the registration number, name, address of the large taxpayer, description, classification, time and date of removal, mode of transport and vehicle registration number, quantity of the goods and registration number and name of the consignee:
Provided that if the subject goods manufactured or produced using the said intermediate goods are not cleared on payment of appropriate duties of excise leviable thereon or are not exported out of India within the said period of six months, duties of excise payable on such intermediate goods shall be paid by the recipient premises with interest in the manner and rate specified under section 11AB of the Act:
Excise duty is payable on intermediate goods, namely, electronics goods, manufactured by factory A which are removed without payment of duties of excise for use in the manufacture of subject goods, namely, machines, in factory B of the large taxpayer. In case such machines are not exported or are removed without payment of duties of excise, then factory B shall pay duties of excise payable on the electronic goods so cleared along with interest:
Provided further that if any duty of excise is payable on such intermediate goods and if the said duty is not payable on such subject goods, the said duty of excise as equivalent to the total amount payable on such intermediate goods along with interest under section 11 AB of the Act shall be paid by the recipient premises:
National Calamity Contingent duty is payable on intermediate goods namely, polyester yarn manufactured by factory A. Such yarn is removed without payment of duty of excise for use in the manufacture of subject goods, namely, grey fabrics in factory B of a large taxpayer, (on which such National Calamity Contingent duty is not payable), then factory B shall pay an amount equivalent to the National Calamity Contingent duty that would have been payable on the polyester yarn along with interest under section 11 AB of the Act:
2. The duty payable under the first and second proviso shall be the duty payable on the date and time of removal of the intermediate goods from the sender¡¯s premises:
Provided also that nothing contained in this sub-rule shall be applicable if the recipient premises is availing following notifications of Government of India in the Ministry of Finance (Department of Revenue), -
(i) No. 32/99-Central Excise, dated the 8th July, 1999 [G.S.R. 508(E), dated 8th July, 1999];
(ii) No. 33/99-Central Excise, dated the 8th July, 1999 [G.S.R. 509(E), dated 8th July, 1999];
(iii) No. 39/2001-Central Excise, dated the 31st July, 2001 [G.S.R. 565 (E), dated the 31st July, 2001];
(iv) No. 56/2002-Central Excise, dated the 14th November, 2002 [G.S.R. 764(E), dated the 14th November, 2002];
(v) No. 57/2002-Central Excise, dated 14th November, 2002 [G.S.R. 765(E), dated the 14th November, 2002];
(vi) No. 56/2003-Central Excise, dated the 25th June, 2003 [G.S.R. 513 (E), dated the 25th June, 2003]; and
(vii) No. 71/2003-Central Excise, dated the 9th September, 2003 [G.S.R. 717 (E), dated the 9th September, 2003]:
Provided also that nothing contained in this sub-rule shall be applicable to a export oriented unit or a unit located in a Electronic Hardware Technology Park or Software Technology Park
3. If a large taxpayer fails to pay any amount due in terms of the first and second provisos, it shall be recovered along with interest in the same manner as provided under section 11A and section 11AB respectively of the Act.
(2) Where a registered premises of a large taxpayer manufacturing excisable goods has paid to the credit of Central Government any duty of excise in excess of duty of excise payable on account of arithmetical error, the said large taxpayer may adjust the excess duty so paid by him, against his duty liability for the subsequent period subject to the limitations prescribed under clause (b) of sub-rule (7) of rule 3 of the CENVAT Credit Rules, 2004:
Provided that such adjustment shall be admissible only if the said registered premises has not passed on the incidence of such excess duty so paid to any other person, and the consignee does not avail credit of such duty under the said CENVAT Credit Rules, 2004.
(3) Any notice issued but not adjudged by any of the Central Excise officer administering the Act or rules made thereunder immediately before the date of grant of acceptance by the Chief Commissioner of Central Excise, Large Taxpayer Unit, shall be deemed to have been issued by Central Excise officers of the said Unit.
(4) A large taxpayer shall submit the monthly returns, as prescribed under these rules, for each of the registered premises.
(5) A large taxpayer, on demand, may be required to make available the financial, production, stores and CENVAT credit records in electronic media, such as, compact disc or tape for the purposes of carrying out any scrutiny and verification as may be necessary.
(6) A large taxpayer may, with intimation of at least thirty days in advance, opt out to be a large taxpayer from the first day of the following financial year.
(7) Provisions of these rules, in so far as they are not inconsistent with the provisions of this rule shall mutatis mutandis apply in case of a large taxpayer."
Note: The principal rules were published in the Gazette of India vide notification No. 4/2002-Central Excise (N.T.), dated the 1st March, 2002,[ GSR 143 (E), dated the 1st March, 2002], and were last amended vide notification No.13/2006-Central Excise (N.T.), dated the 1st June, 2006, vide [GSR 333(E), dated the 1st June, 2006].
We feel pride in offering our customers the wide range of products of the top leading brands of the world.